December 31, 2009

A December Recap

December was a turning point in our lives. Months ago I had blogged about second chances. Well, the company that Shad initially worked for when we moved to Boise had been looking for him for 9 months to fill a Sales Management position. They had an old number though & in the meantime, the position was filled. However, they did ask him to return as a Sales Representative.

The job is with a company called Unique Screen Media selling advertisements for movie theatres. Shad was one of the top sales guys for the company for many years. He left the company 3 years ago because of the travel. He made really great money, however because the job has always involved a lot of travel we didn't think it was appropriate if we were trying to start a family.
Well, we got to thinking ... What would happen if this job replaced my income? Could we survive being apart while he traveled so frequently if it meant I could stay home with Cashe? Could Shad handle missing Cashe growing up? What kind of father would he be if he were never home? Well, if his income replaced mine, what if I traveled with him?

Decision made. Cashe & I were going to go with him.

The company has made some changes & the only available markets are in northern California (hence the trip to CA). The good news is, the company is working on acquiring northwestern markets again so travel won't be as far in the near future.

With that being said, we spent a only 8 of the 31 days in December at home. We spent 10 days in California before we had to bolt so I could hurry home for a spinal steroid injection & the remaining 13 days we spent in Montana with our families for the holidays.

While in California, I made many calls to doctors in the vicinity in which we were staying & was told no one could see me to give me a spinal steroid injection to relieve my back pain. Thankfully, Shad's boss told him it would be okay to take his last few days off & head home.

We left early on Thursday morning & much different than the drive down, we had dry roads the entire way home. I was so grateful as my spirits were wearing thin from the pain.

My injection was early Friday morning & it couldn't come fast enough. The injection itself was probably just as painful as labor contractions, but it was quick & I felt a little relief almost immediately. I had almost no pain for two days, but it came back again just before my 6-week baby follow-up appointment. Lovely.

I walked into my appointment & when the Nurse Practitioner asked how I was doing, I lost it. She knew it was coming too; she had the box of tissues all ready in hand. I had been elated to be a mom for 6 whole weeks - what was my problem? Apparently, Postpartum Depression rears its ugly head around week 8 & chronic pain & gloomy weather are big promoters of depression. Lovely.

So, I walked out of there with a wad of kleenex & several prescriptions in hand. Here I thought I had avoided even the Baby Blues. Instead, I was being diagnosed with the all time worst: Postpartum Depression. Oh well. I swallowed my pride, picked up my prescriptions & we were off to Montana for the holidays!

You might think 12 more hours of travel & 2 weeks with family could spur more depression ... but it didn't. It was nice to have the distractions. And thank goodness we have fun families & friends with good senses of humor who kept me laughing.

The week started with 3 extravagant dinners: one at my Mom's with 15 people, one at my sister-in-laws with 20 people & one at my sister's in-laws (confused yet?) with 30 people! It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun. I don't want to see another turkey until next Thanksgiving though.

In addition to all the meals, we decided to spend a little time with everyone this trip which meant 4 moves. We spent 4 nights at my Mom's house, 3 nights at my Sister's house, 5 nights at my Mother-in-Law's house & 1 night at my Sister-in-Law's house! And mind you, it's not easy to pack up & move a family of 3 with a 2-month old. We had 3 suitcases, 2 diaper bags, a shoe bag, a pack n' play, ... & a partridge in a pear tree!

Nevertheless, we had a great holiday & this blog is already very long so I'll spare you some of the details. Although I refrained, I did find it somewhat appropriate to name this blog, "You Know You're In Montana When ... " because we spent our first day in Missoula people-watching at Walmart, we spent our entire second day in Missoula at the bowling alley, we pulled up to Christmas dinner to find a dead deer hanging from the ceiling in the garage & we ate the neighbor's wild turkey for dinner that night!

... but here's to a wonderful Christmas spent with an incredible, loving family & our new, amazing son. And here's to second chances with a great company who thinks the world of my highly-motivated, hard-working husband. Here's to having the opportunity of a lifetime to stay at home with my son & watch him grow each day. And most of all, here's to a year of many ups & downs, but mostly ups.
Praise the Lord & Happy New Year to all!
And here's the photo recap ...
Uncle Luke, Cashe in his new Griz Jax hat & Gunner.


Alicia & I bought new Jax hats & the boys had to try them on & act like a couple of morons.

Little tootsie - such a cutie pic.

Auntie Shauna & Cashe.

Trivia Night at Hooters - Alicia & Luke.

Shauna & Dyl.

Shad & me with our fried pickles (mmmmm...)

A visit with Amanda & Aly. Both girls have been dying to meet Mr. Cashe.

Cashe-man's new mittens from Auntie Leasha & Uncle Luke. His poor little hands are always cold.
He even sleeps with his mittens!

A visit to see Great Grandpa Widner in Darby, MT.

Teresa's so tiny she couldn't get Cashe's binky in his mouth while holding him in his favorite position.

Relaxing after dinner at the Nelsons.

Dad & Me.

Me, Cashe & Mom.

Cashe & Auntie Kelly.

The neighbor's kids.

Kelly & me together in Missoula.

Cashe & me with Auntie Shaunie.

Our handsome nephews.

Lewis & Teresa.

Our Moms (well, Luke's Mom, but I love her too!)

A day of relaxin'.

A visit with Aunt Angela.

So sweet.

My dad & step-mom, Deanna came over from Coeur d'Alene to spend Christmas with us!

Christmas in Montana with my dear deer.

Our Christmas host & hostess.

The other Nyquests, Sheila & Shane.

Sheila & Triston.

Uncle Stephen got this sweet outfit for Cashe-man.

Auntie Stace & all the kiddos! She's the favorite auntie by far!

Me & my sister.

Shad & his brothers.

Christmas morning - Cashe in his new Jax hat!
(I really wanted one of these hats for him & Alicia found them - they're made locally in Missoula - so stinkin' cute!)


Our little family on Christmas Morning 2009

Aunt Angela has the magic touch.

Beautiful little Amara lovin' on Cashe.

Cousin Dyl with Cashe.

Cousin Taylee with Cashe.

Cousins - Jadon & Dyl.

Christmas at Shauna & Dyl's.

Cashe's wild Christmas attire
... & check out Grandpa's NRA jacket!

Our Christmas cook.

Colty's big cheese. Oh, I love him!

Shad & his mom.

2 comments:

  1. I did the whole PPD thing too Nicole! It sucks but it'll get better, I promise! There are some great drugs out there! Plus, staying home is the best! Good for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - I ran across your blog when I did a search on Jax Hats - how fun to see my hats everywhere on your pages! Thanks for the great advertising!! Cache looks absolutely adorable in them. By the way - I love your wallpaper on your blog - where did you find this? Thank, Jax

    ReplyDelete