It was truly a wonderful job I had working for the Navy & Marine Corps - I worked great hours doing work that I loved, & without sounding like a sleaze, I worked with primiarily men, ... meaning there was very little drama. I should say, there was little drama where it wasn't over within 10 minutes & we all moved on. No one really held grudges or didn't speak to you if you didn't have a Louis Vuitton purse (like the job I had in So Cal prior to this one).
ANYWAY, before I had left EDS, (which is now HP, not EDS) on January 1st, I had exhausted all my resources of finding a way to work only part-time, whether it be from home or in the office. I was told it was just not feasible in the position I was currently in.
Well, as far as I was concerned, priorities had shifted & my son now deserved those 40 ho
urs each week ... that is, if we could afford for me to stay home. I prayed & prayed & prayed for a clear decision & God answered. Shad landed this job & replaced my income. And here I am enjoying what St. Luke's referred to me as when I was at the hospital the other day, a "Homemaker".I like being a homemaker. My schedule is free to spend all the time in the world with my sweet Cashe just as I had asked for. We read, we exercise, we sing, we swim in the tub & we eat. When he's napping though, I find myself blogging, catching up on all of the E! True Hollywood Stories or watching Oprah's intervie
w with Lady Gaga or walking on the treadmill (if Shad remembers to get a hotel with a gym, that is). And anything that needs to be done (i.e. laundry, putting on make-up, etc.) gets put on the back burner. Why? Because my middle name is Procrastinator. Pretty, isn't it?Well, almost a month ago, I was contacted by one of the Managers I supported on the NMCI contract & he asked if I would be interested in coming back ... get this, part-time & I would be able to work from the road! Holy cow! I cannot tell you how excited I was after hearing this! Not because I didn't love being a homemaker, but because I felt appreciated.
I immediately called my Mom to share the news with her since Shad was with a client. Of co
urse she was ecstatic for me! Then, I finally got to share the news with Shad who was also thrilled for me, but also concerned I was going to stretch myself too thin. So, we sat down & discussed all the scenarios of how this would impact our new lives as traveling parents.As I explained to him, I do much better when my schedule is full. If my schedule is full, my middle name is Good-Time-Manager (it's Native American). The only time I made the Dean's List in college was the semester I took 22 credits, worked a full-time job & planned our wedding. I didn't have time to put things off because every hour of every day had something scheduled, even if it was eating a snack or brushing my teeth or putting on make-up.
In addition, there was no time for Oprah, Lady Gaga or the E! True Hollywood Story of Home Improvement. I felt productive & efficient.
Don't get me wrong, I am fully aware that children often don't allow for rigid schedules. However, I am prepared (as
Here goes!
That sounds super duper!!!
ReplyDeleteOh friend..glad you decided to go for it! You will make it work - proud of you!
ReplyDelete