What they have you do if you fail is, take what they call a "3-hour Glucose Test" & not is it just like it sounds, it's worse (because it's actually longer than 3 hours)! I scheduled it for this morning at 6:45a.m. since you have to fast from midnight the night before. I had to wake up & head to the hospital, check in, have them draw blood (which, if you know me, I don't do well with needles - I'm the girl who passes out every time they draw & I'm the girl who passed out & hit the floor twice after having my belly button pierced many, many years ago), & then you wait for your glucose drink.
Ask anyone who knows me, I am a true fan of sugar. I would eat gummy bears for breakfast, lunch & dinner (& I have before). I would eat dessert any day of the week before ever eating my dinner. But when they brought me my glucose (sugar) drink to gulp down in 5 minutes, I wanted to gag. It's like drinking a full cup of thick, flat 7-Up.
I waited 1 hour after drinking that & headed back to the lab with my little timer. All of the Phlebotomists looked at me & rushed me back for my next poke. I was a looking a little under the weather apparently. They offered me a chair to rest in for the remainder of my 2 hours there (Praise the Lord!) They even brought me water & warm blankets.
Thankfully, I fell asleep in my chair (in quite the awkward position since I still cannot sit properly because of my back), but woke up to the various patients who came in saying, "I don't do well with needles." In the 2 hours I spent there, I can bet 90% or more said that (including myself!) I felt awful for the poor Phlebotomists. They have got to get tired of hearing that. Is there someone who really LOVES needles besides a intravenous drug user?? Not only that, the majority of patients they saw that told them exactly how to do their job. That had to have gotten annoying. People would tell them the size of needle to use, the vein to use, not to tie the tourniquet too tight, ... you name it! I had such a strong appreciation for them by the time I left.
After my two final pokes, I was nice & sore & black & blue. I was also exhausted from my early morning. I came home & ate & slept. I woke up to fantastic news (shocking, huh?!) - I passed this time! Thank goodness! No Gestational Diabetes for this girl!
To celebrate, I started the nursery ... (with some help from my friend, Jamie at Lola Decor)
(Cashe Landon)
(Our little blessing)
I LOVE the wall! It looks great! Good job! Congrats on passing the glucose too! Yay!!
ReplyDelete