I better make this special.
It's basically just a big confession that may make all you other mom's breathe a sigh of relief that you're not the only ones.
Or it may make you feel pretty darn good about yourselves for sticking to your guns.
Or it may make all of you who know me grateful that I'm finally chilling out a little.
I was just sitting here today thinking, I swore I would never do some very specific things as a parent & I think I've done almost every single one of them.
I swore I would never let Cashe have sugar until he was much older. Then, I introduced him to frozen yogurt. Justification: he's a good eater regardess of what he eats, so I can trust that he will continue to eat his normal food, not just sugary foods.
I swore I would never let Cashe sleep in bed with Shad & me. Then, he cried all night in a hotel & the only thing that soothed him was laying in bed with Mom. Justification: Shad needs to make a living & provide for us, so he needs the sleep & we need not be booted from the hotel.
I swore I would never let Cashe watch TV until he was two. Then, I turned on the TV in the hotel room & his face lit up when he saw Elmo. Justification: He's one darn happy baby, so if this makes him happier, so be it. We'll just limit the TV. And besides, we have no cable at home, so Elmo is a "traveling treat" when we don't have access to all of our toys at home.
I swore I would never let Cashe have juice because it too was too sugary. Then, he refused to drink from a bottle or a sippy cup, especially if it was just water. Justification: If it gets him to drink & not be dehydrated & have turds the consistency of tiny boulders, it'll have to do.
Bottom line: I've got a happy baby boy, & it's okay to bend the rules. I'm learning little by little to be less rigid & undoubtedly, Cashe will be thankful now as well as later. So, bring on the TCBY, Elmo! We're there.
August 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post Nicole! You make me laugh! And I'm completely there with on breaking the rules. If I haven't broken 'my' rules by now I'm sure I will in a few months when #2 arrives!
ReplyDeleteThe only "I swear I will never" that I have left is that I swear I will never use that phrase again. The rules ALWAYS change with children. It's the law of the land.
ReplyDelete