August 18, 2010

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, Good Bye.

I just started reading this PHENOMENAL book by Beth Moore called, So Long Insecurity-You've Been a Bad Friend to Us. Kind of cheesy title if you ask me, but SO SO SO enlightening.

I'm reading it with my sistas (anytime I say that, I think of Sir Mix Alot's song, 'Baby Got Back' when he says: "Give me a sista, can't resist her. Red beans & rice didn't miss her." ... whoa, I derailed. Back to the book.) There are questions we all answer each week & have a discussion too. What a breath of fresh air to read word-for-word what I am thinking & have thought for years AND discuss it with my sisters in order to understand someone else's real perspective. Because, trust me, we're NOT all the same when it comes to this stuff.

And for those of you who know my reading history -- I kid you not when I say, I cannot put this book down. I do not fall asleep while reading it, nor do I find my mind drifting off into the abyss while trying to determine what's on the agenda for the following day. (You're all sold now, aren't you?)

Where do I start?

I've been wanting to blog about this for 11 chapters now & haven't had a minute to sit down & do it. And now that I have the time to do so, I can't think of what I wanted to write. Mostly because there's so much "meat" (I hate that word sometimes; it reminds me of a bloody steak when I say it) to this book.

So, please hold while I collect my thoughts ...

Okay, ahem ... I'm ready.

Without giving away the details, what I've learned so far is this:

Everyone has insecurities. Men & women. Everyone. Everyone. Here are a few of my own examples: (1) Oprah's loaded, but I can guarantee you she's insecure about her weight. (2) Donald Trump is loaded & isn't overweight, but I can guarantee you he's insecure about his hair.

Seriously -- my insecurity may not be the same as yours. So, for me to look at you & think, "What have you got to be insecure about?" may just diminish the fact that your insecurities are just as important as mine.

Another thing I've learned is that there are roots to everyone's insecurities, whether it be an insecure home, culture, or pride -- your insecurities stem from somewhere.

In addition, men's insecurities are obviously different than women's, but believe it or not, they DO have them. And to assume that they don't does them a disservice.

All of this puts things in perspective for me & undoubtedly has for all the girls I've been reading this with. Interaction I have had with anyone & everyone changes a little because you start to view everyone as human instead of being on the defense because whomever it is you're interacting with is acting a little too "high & mighty". Chances are, they're insecure about something.

I'm not encouraging you all to start analyzing everyone you come in contact with to determine what their insecurity roots are, but I do encourage you to read this book. (Beth owes me big time.)

By the end of it, the goal is to be secure with who you are. Who wouldn't want that?

No comments:

Post a Comment