November 02, 2009

Life As You Know It Ends

Here I have been whining for the past two weeks because I thought I was going to get extra time with my newborn son since my company allows us to take two weeks prior to the due date as part of our Maternity Leave.

Well, my two weeks is up.

Undoubtedly, I am not going to sleep tonight (& from what I hear, every night until my child is a teenager). I have never had a problem sleeping - I'm the girl who falls asleep any time a movie comes remotely close to the DVD player. I am also the girl who has actually fallen asleep at a hockey game. However, the last two weeks haven't provided much sleep either because not only is your bladder always full, your hips hurt, your limbs are tingling & your mind simply won't turn off.

How do you prepare yourself for one of the most life-changing events you will ever experience?
How do you prepare yourself for always being responsible for another human being?
How do you prepare yourself to experience the worst pain you may ever experience AND the most incredibly happy & emotional time of your life all in one day?

It's not like a wedding, it's not like a graduation, it's not like a surprise birthday cruise. It's a gift from God that's half of you half of the person you love. And there's no turning back now! Not only are you responsible for how this child turns out in life, you're responsible for getting him out of your body. And how do you do that without pain? You don't.

On my two week "baby-preparation-vacation", I watched P.S. I Love You & although it's a different scenario, the famous line from that movie certainly sums it all up, "life as you know it ends".

Here goes ...

2 comments:

  1. Take it from someone who did it drug free - it's nothing compared to the miracle of new life you'll be blessed with in the end. We are praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh friend! I am so excited for you...tomorrow will be joyous for sure!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete